sexta-feira, novembro 14, 2008

Second Assignment: The story of my first steps in Second Life / Segundo trabalho de casa: a história dos meus primeiros passos no Second Life

Yup. It was a national holiday in 2006: April 25th. Funny enough, this is "Liberty's day", so perhaps one can make some kind of connection between that and my "entrance" into Second Life.

In many ways, it was a better experience than what any novice finds today. I entered this world through the orientation method of the time: I was on top of a hill, and albeit with a default avatar, it was indeed the feeling of being "born naked" atop a mountain and descending into the world proper. On my way, plenty of signs, indications, and even people helping out. Other people, also new to Second Life were coming down all the time.

I followed the indications as they came up. I tried out the avatar editing platforms. And moved on! At the time, anything would be adequate, but I did find my blue-hair elven look adequate. A little bit balding on the front, at the time.

And so down I went, until I got fed up with the tutorial indication and simply flew away, met people, saw places... and wherever I went, I saw more and more things to do.

And this was it. No "magic moment", no "fantastic memory", nothing in particular... just... the feeling of space, of new things to discover, of a new world to be in. And things picked up from there.

==========

Pois é. Foi num feriado nacional, em 2006: o 25 de Abril. Tem graça, é o "Dia da Liberdade", pelo que talvez se consiga fazer aqui algum tipo de ligação entre isso e a minha "entrada" no Second Life.

De muitas formas, foi uma experiência melhor do que a que um novato tem hoje. Entrei neste mundo através do método de orientação da altura: estava no cimo de um monte; e embora tivesse um avatar predefinido, era de facto a sensação de "nascer nu" no cimo de uma montanha da qual se descia para o verdadeiro mundo. Pelo caminho, muitos sinais; indicações; e até pessoas a ajudar. Mais gente, também nova no Second Life, aparecia a descer.

Segui as indicações à medida que apareciam. Experimentei as plataformas de edição de avatar. E segui em frente! Na altura, qualquer coisa servia, mas já então achei que me ficava bem o meu cabelo azul e ar élfico. À época, com umas entradas.

E assim fui descendo, até me fartar das indicações de tutoria e simplesmente ter voado para longe. Encontrei pessoas, vi lugares... e aonde quer que fosse vi cada vez mais coisas para fazer.

E assim foi. Nenhum "momento mágico", nenhuma "recordação fantástica", nada de especial... apenas... a sensação de espaço de coisas novas a descobrir, de um mundo novo onde estava. E assim fui andando, as coisas foram-se sucedendo.

Sem comentários:

ShareThis